Saturday, August 9, 2008

No News IS Good News

I had an interesting conversation with my sister-in-law, Katie, last night regarding the news.

Just when she thought that I couldn't get any weirder (in her mind, of course), I surprised her with something new.

During the course of our conversation, Katie learned that I don't watch the news and haven't in about 7 years. I am sure that your reaction to this statement is somewhat similiar to Katie's;
"What do you mean you don't watch the news!?!?! How could you not watch the news? How do you stay informed and up-to-date? What if there was something on the news that you really need to know about? How do you know what the weather is going to be each day?"

Okay............ there's not ONE section in the news that brings me joy. Therefore, I don't care to watch it. I make it just fine without turning it on. Our girls are not allowed to watch it either.

I stay very well informed by people who MUST see the news several times a day and who feel that they cannot live without watching the news. Sorry if I am stepping on a few toes. Anyhow, by the time that I hear the news from family and friends, it's watered down so much that it doesn't disturb me to the extreme as it does if I had made the choice to watch it for myself. I don't feel that there's anything on the news that I really need to know about. As for the weather, I access Yahoo! weather each morning and it's worked wonderfully for years.

Sounds strange, huh? I know!!

Katie and I actually had a lot of laughs about this. I am sure that she thinks that I am totally and completely weird and perhaps from another planet by now. LOL

It's quite okay though.

For those of you reading this and can suggest TV news channel with positive and uplifting things going on in the world, please feel free to let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Daphine! I found your blog this morning. I'm sure I'll have to start my own very soon. Thanks for the tip.

But I did want to respond to your no news watching. I'm actually right there with you. I never watch it. They never say anything possitive and the information I do need I can get from the light news snipets on KLTY on my way to work. I also check the weather on-line so I know exactly what you mean. You are not weird at all. You are protecting your heart and your mind which is what we are supposed to do. I can't say I do that all the time, but I try and one way is to stay away from the news. Good for you! Keep doing what you're doing.

Talk to ya' soon!
Jennifer England

Tracie said...

I guess I am weird as well. I do not watch the news either....bet you didnt know that about me..

I hate every part of the news and the reason for that is because if and I say if there is anything good on there it is followed by a death or shooting or a break in. I can't even be happy for the good before I hear the bad. No thanks I will pass.

Jessica and Matt said...

Gurul. I only watch OCD-type news. Like Nancy Grace & Bill O'Reilly--so annoying, I know. Nancy Grace has been obsessing over that poor little girl who went missing in FL a couple of months ago, for the past month. And Bill O'Reilly is just looking out for me, so you know... heh. :) Matt hates all that stuff and the regular news. He won't let me watch regular news if he's around. He's so controlling.

Anonymous said...

I love the news...I'm strange I guess. I feel the need to know what's happening in the world around me.

Tonya