Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Be Aware of More Than Gas At the Pump!

I noticed this guy right off as I was whipping in to fill up my car. I think I noticed him because he was leaning on the trashcan (of all places) right next to the gas pumps.

He looked a little unclean, but at the time, he wasn’t bothering anyone.

I parked on the opposite side from where he was and began filling up. As usual, my mind had already moved on to the next thing I needed to get done and so I really forgot about the guy.

As I went to grab my receipt from the machine, he appeared from out of nowhere and came up to my car! Okay, at this point, he was wayyyyyyyyy too close. I had a slight moment of panic on the inside, but tried to remain calm on the outside.

He held out this little white styrofoam cup, and said, “Hey! I need some money!” I was almost afraid to lie. Yes, I lied (Please forgive me), but, I said, “I’m sorry sir, I don’t have any money on me.” He just stood there and stared at me. Okay, it was only for a second, but my heart just about stopped! I shook all over as I grabbed the handle to my car door. Maybe you’ve had a moment to where your hands were shaking so badly that you couldn’t really move them? That’s how I felt. It was like my hands were numb and I couldn’t move them fast enough to put the stupid key in the ignition, start the car and drive off.

I didn’t speed off out of the parking lot. Though, I felt safer once my car started moving away from him.

As I was driving off, I started wondering if the workers inside the gas station actually saw this or was I the only person that this has happened to. Hmmmm….

Anyhow, I am usually pretty aware of my surroundings and to be on the lookout for weird things like this happening. I am just thankful that it was daylight where if his intrusion had gone any further, perhaps someone would have stepped in to help me.

WOW! How freaky!

5 comments:

Jessica and Matt said...

Girl--I was nervous just reading this! Well, that's when I would have pulled out my trusty, cute, little Kahr 9 mm. :)

I'm glad you're ok. I'll take you to the shooting range sometime, if you'd like!

Jenn said...

I really don't like it when people do that to me! It used to happen quite a bit when I worked in Dallas. I've evem had a man stop behind my car at the grocery store and ask me for money for gas. I don't usually carry cash so I am almost always able to honestly say, "Sorry, I don't have any money." But it does make my heart beat fast EVERY time someone does that!

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing! You can never be too careful; I always check my surrondings before I do anything. Oh... Remember when I was at the store off of Forest Lane and that woman asked me for money and I told her I didn't have any. She cursed me out and stood in front of my car. I put my car in reverse (luckily no one was behind me), and I hauled my butt out of there. I haven't been to that store since that happened. They lost a great costumer!! You know how I am about my hair.(LOL)

Vickie

Anonymous said...

That was scary!
I'm glad you did'n have the girls with you.
Brenda.

Anonymous said...

Wow that was a crazy thing that happened to you. I've been ok. I tried to go to college but I owe on a student loan from 16 years ago and it's in default so I can't get finacial aid. So I'm back looking for a job after being off work for a year. It sucks. I have a back problem so it's hard to find a job that I don't have to sit or stand very long. It's good to see you and Dirk so happy with your kids. That's so great.